Sunday, March 21, 2010

Occoquan NWR part 2--Great Horned Owl nest

So, this was our goal--a Great Horned Owl nest in a former osprey nest. In a totally open field at the Occoquan National Wildlife Refuge, Occoquan, VA. My friend Renee discovered the nest this winter during one of the huge snowstorms we had. I was thrilled when she said she would take me down to see it!


Renee and another birder check out the nest.


Mama and an owlet. Another owlet is to the right, behind the sycamore branch.


We went on to see some wild turkeys (previous post). It was a great morning! Not a huge number of birds but some very cool ones. And the weather was great! Nothing better than to be out with a friend birding in good weather. (Much better weather than the last time I birded with Renee!)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steve said...

These are some great pictures. I am yet to see an owl in Northern VA.